The range of your Ford electric vehicle (EV) indicates how far you can drive before needing to recharge. It is based on the amount of energy currently stored in your vehicle’s battery and your overall energy consumption. Think of the range as the “fuel gauge” for electric vehicles.
You can check your EV range using the Range Display behind your steering wheel. Plus, thanks to the Intelligent Range feature, you can rest easy knowing your vehicle is doing the complex calculations to update your EV range in real-time.
Factors That Impact EV Range
The range of your Ford electric vehicle is influenced by several factors. These include:
- The kilowatt-hours (kWh) size of your battery pack. Generally, the higher the kWh, the higher the range.
- Weight of the vehicle, including cargo and towing.
- Climate and temperature.
- Driving terrain (flat vs. hilly).
- Other factors such as acceleration, driving speed and hard stops.
Tips for Maximizing EV Range
To get the most out of your Ford electric vehicle’s range, consider the following tips:
- Maintain a regular, daily charging routine.
- Practice eco-driving to help get the most out of your range all year round, such as watching your speed, minimizing hard accelerations, and maximizing your regenerative braking. Visit www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/ for more eco-driving techniques.
- Be mindful of how much you are towing or hauling as adding weight to your payload can reduce range.
- Precondition** your vehicle to:
- Pre-cool your cabin and battery during summer (especially when the outside temperature reaches over 30° C).
- Pre-heat your cabin and battery when it’s cold outside (especially when the outside temperature dips below 4° C).
- Use air conditioning and heat in moderation.
- Schedule service for help with any outstanding vehicle issues.
- Only take advantage of DC fast-charging when you really need it (for example, road trips or more urgent on-the-go needs).
To learn more information on how to maximize your EV range, visit How do I get the best driving range from my EV?